The long, storied history of San Luis Obispo’s historic Chinatown and the artifacts left behind

BY COLIN RIGLEY, October 1st, 2014

At the end of Dana Street in San Luis Obispo, there is a white, wooden fence. Behind that fence, there is a white building marked by a bronze-colored placard with the words, “Rosa Butrón de Canet de Simmler ADOBE c. 1845.” In the back of the Palm Street parking garage, there is a small window display that contains artifacts next to poster boards commemorating the history of the site: the remains of old Chinatown and long-forgotten dormitories in which Native Americans were housed during missionary times. Read more …

PHOTO COURTESY OF LAKE COUNTY ARCHAEOLOGY
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAKE COUNTY ARCHAEOLOGY